خورشت پسته کرمانی با مرغ
This tasty stew is from the city of Kerman in the southeastern region of Iran, showcasing the use of pistachios in a unique way.
Follow me on social media
Khoresht-e Pesteh-ye Kermani
Chicken and pistachio stew with fresh dill from Kerman region of Iran
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee divided
- 4 chicken thighs with bone and skin on
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups of water
- 4-6 tablespoons verjuice , unripe grape juice or 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground saffron in 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup of pistachios soaked for one hour and skin removed
- 1 cup fresh dill weed chopped
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat and brown the chicken, 4-5 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In the same pot, reduce the heat to medium and saute the onions with the remaining olive oil for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and turmeric and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot and add 3 cups of water, cover and reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the verjuice, saffron water and pistachios and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped fresh dill weed, and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice or Persian flatbread.
Can substitute lamb or beef for the chicken.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!