خورش باقله قاتق
This simple peasant food brings back such fond memories of childhood and time spent visiting family near the Caspian Sea.
It isn’t so ironic that these days every time I visit my mom, this is the first meal she makes for me!
Khoresht-e Baghaleh Ghatogh
Butterbeans and seasoned poached eggs with dill and turmeric
- 2 14-ounce canned butter beans
- 6 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup dried dill
- 2 cups water (add more as needed)
- 4 eggs
- Rinse the butter beans in a colander and drain completely.
- In a medium-size pot, sauté the onion with butter over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the onions are golden-brown.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Continue by adding salt, pepper, and turmeric and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the butter beans, dried dill and water, then cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Avoid excessive stirring to keep the beans whole.
- Crack the eggs on top of the beans, add a tiny pinch of salt, pepper, and turmeric on top of the eggs, and cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.
- Turn off the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over plain basmati rice or with Persian flatbread with a side of yogurt.
Fresh or frozen fava beans can also be substituted.